Hi, friends.
I shall have to make it short and sweet, for only 9 minutes remain on my timed public library computer session. Sigh, these stops are wonderful but not at all conducive to verbosity. Or accurate description.
Nonetheless. Despite continuous weather woes, I and Hermes and Saint have progressed to Rutland, Vermont, passed the 500 Miles Remaining mark. It was another milestone worth contemplating. I did.
Earlier this week, we three and Rusticus stopped for some amazing trail magic at the home of our fellow hiker Rainman and his family in Manchester Center, VT. They so generously opened their home, and, after some trail register advertising, allowed a whopping sixty-two thru-hikers to stay in and around it. There were movies, and food, and games, and conversation gallore. People had hitched or driven from as far north as here in Rutland, and as far south as Salisbury, CT. An Enterprise Rent-A-Van provided the assist. It was truly a remarkable event. I saw friends that I have not seen in months, and was completely overjoyed at the temporary reunion. I met tens of hikers who have been behind us the entire trip. I would never have met them otherwise. We slackpacked 18 miles between Manchester and Danby, returned to the Fox residence, and got back on the trail Northbound from Danby afterwards. The whole enterprise impressed everyone involved.
We are looking forward to the Whites, ever looming in the near future of this hike. In bad weather (hmmmm), they are a more than formidable foe. In good, they provide by far the most spectacular hiking of the entire trip. We roll the dice, hold our breaths, and go north. Time's up.
Love to you all on your own trails.
WindUp
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment