Friday, July 17, 2009

HP VI

We have stopped briefly in North Adams, MA, to celebrate the 600 Miles Remaining mark by tracking down a movie theater for Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince. This movie is so freaking important to this expedition. <-- Haha, obscure reference. See my college roommates.

I'm finding the flow again; the sunshine is helping. We climbed Greylock yesterday and lay in the sun for an amount of time proportionate to when we all arrived at its summit: I for 2 1/2 hours, Saint for 3, Hermes for 4. Distant thunder forced us down to the Wilbur Clearing Lean-to, past which I have walked many times on dayhikes in the area. It had been a gorgeous day- one where the climbing clears my mind and I fall back into the pattern of whole-body movements, drops of sweat rolling down my cheekbones and dripping from my chin. The juxtaposition between home and hiking life gave me new eyes with which to look at the trail. Things are so beautifully simplistic out here. We walk; sometimes we rest; we sleep; we pack up camp; we eat; we walk; sometimes we rest. And while my body follows a specific and well-marked route northward, my mind is always free to explore a world of my choosing. It's perfect, and dangerous.

It smelled like pine trees climbing up and down Greylock yesterday. Fantastic.

Love.
WindUp

No comments:

Post a Comment