Friday, April 24, 2009

The Time Thing

I forgot, in my hurried, time-limited internet access musing, yesterday, to state what may or may not be obvious at this time: we have made it into Virginia by April 23rd. I wanted to tentatively revamp the tentative schedule... making the projected dates evermore inaccurate. But I don't know, time seems so relative out here anyways. I cannot believe we have been out here for 6 weeks already. Simultaneously, though, I miss my friends and coffee and music and books, and/or sitting with all four together in one (relatively confined) space in a way that feels like years have passed. Like I said yesterday, the Trail is funny like that. As I sit here, I relish the opportunities to drink coffee and sit in the sun, and shower, and eat food that I chose for taste rather than shelf-life and weight. But I also feel the itch to walk. Today feels like summer, and the lazy nature of the Zero Day reminds me of sitting out on a bench in Brookline, reading and people-watching. My brother is napping inside the hostel ('The Place' in Damascus). My friend Wags is sitting on the porch reading in an Adirondack chair. Yesterday I sat under a tree and listened to a trail friend who is carrying a fiddle on her pack. I didn't realize how much I missed grass until I sat down in it and ran my fingers over the blades. Nor did I realize how much I missed walking around barefoot until we camped on a bald a few nights ago. We all marvel at how little it takes to bring smiles to our faces. A piece of fruit? ::grin:: Potable water? ::grin:: A familiar song playing overhead in the grocery store? ::mega grin:: Drunk dials from the CC passing the phone around in a circle while they're all together at home? ::raucous laughter:: But though we have given up much, we are gaining much also, of course.

So, for:
the Virginia quarter, incl. Shenandoah National Park:
Damascus, VA: April 23-25
Troutdale, VA: April 29ish
Pearisburg, VA: May 7-8ish
Glasgow, VA: May 17ish

p.s. those were all guesses.

And tomorrow morning, we shall plunge back into the Virginia woods, and remain there for a long, long time. May they be sunny. And rolling.
Peace, friends.

Barefoot on the bald, a.k.a. yay, grass!

No comments:

Post a Comment