It may seem unusual that I have so soon again been graced with internet usage. Let me explain how this came about. We covered the last 37 miles in two long, long days. Why the push to insanity? Well friends, the truth of the matter is that getting caught in a snow storm picks up your pace VERY quickly.
It snowed 7-10 inches in the mountains of North Carolina. We all traded near-death experiences after coming over Max Patch. I don't have the opportunity to paint the full picture right now, but suffice it to say that it was the first time I have been really scared on the trail. Picture: horror stories on Everest, insert wind, zero visibility, lost footprints, no trail, etc etc etc. That night thirteen of us piled on top of each other in a shelter and woke up covered in snow. We hiked in a giant expedition-like pack the next day, trying to find the white blazes.But, like so many previous times already on this trip, it all turned out alright. So, here we are in Hot Springs, NC, having hiked 271 miles. I had a latte for the first time in a month, and spent an hour talking to Sunny, Iron Horse Cafe proprietress and AT alumnus ('02). Wonderful person. And, of course, now that we're all safe in town, the sun has come out. Ha.
I hope you are all so well! Lots of love.
<3 Bee/WindUp p.s. my sincerest apologies to Bernie, who I called 'Barry' in my last post. Thank you, thank you, thank you again to you and Beth for your generosity and well-wishes! p.p.s. And thanks to Steve and Chelle for my postcard :)
Photo: Stringing up rainflies to keep the snow from blowing into the shelter...FAIL. We woke up covered in snow from the knees down, and I had to run laps back and forth from the privy to get my legs working again.

Photo: Everyone likes to play in the snow... for an hour. Have you ever stayed out in it for 2 1/2 days? Not as much fun. Still very pretty, though.

I've called him worse sweetheart.... Stay happy on your adventure. Be safe and well fed, praying for you. Beth in Fla.
ReplyDeleteWags, no worries with the name game. Y'all made Beth and I think we want to shuttle frosty hikers next year for our anniversary. Maybe we'll even break down and get a topper for the truck. Still gotta be able to hose the stinky hiker smell out though....
Not typically a very wordy person myself it's been fun to live vicariously through your (and others) entries. You have me reading J.R.s book again.
Hang tough, Bern