
Happy Zero Day!
It is. I am enjoying sitting.
I mailed myself a copy of Farewell to Arms to this fair hamlet (Pearisburg, Virginia, mile 625.9), which I picked up at a library book sale in Erwin, TN for the bargain price of FREE. Apparently no one wanted all those books. I did. I took Zora Neale Hurston also. I thought I had stumbled across Nerd Heaven when I wandered down to the creepy library basement and discovered a veritable vault of unwanted books. I don't usually think of those two words in conjunction. I set out without any reading material (besides the trail guide) on this trek thinking that 1) I better get used to carrying all the other stuff first and 2) I would write more without books to keep me company. I think both assumptions stood correct at the time. But since I'm starting to mail home some of the winter clothes, and I have filled my first journal/sketch pad of trailside ruminations, I am glad to have a literary companion. I had coffee this morning too. Pieces of my old life still exist in town. I surely missed reading though. I worked on a super Evangelical Christian book that some wonderful super Evangelicals gave me when we stayed at their house. I found it provocative, and I was glad as always to broaden my own worldview though I didn't agree with most of the material. I wrote in the margins, as I am wont to do with heavier reading, and sent it home for the Religion section of my bookshelf. Or, well, where it might be if it weren't full already. I was so glad for the thoughts though.
Religion and religious conversation have popped up several times throughout this journey, which has both surprised and delighted me. It has always been one of my favorite topics of exploration. A few have firm roots in one religion, mostly Christianity. But most of those who seem open to discussion believe in the wealth of experience and a search for meaning in life that transcends definite answers. Some are content to shrug; some search actively; some explore many religions hoping to find a good fit; some search many religions with the understanding that they share a commonality of reaching toward the unreachable. It seems, though, that most of us have chosen the Trail as religion, at least for now. I can see why. In so many ways this journey mirrors the continual quest for personal growth and larger connectivity present in major religiosity. If I have been asked, I freely give a brief history of my own rambling religious background. I usually conclude with, I'll be on that great quest for the rest of my life. But then again, I'm one for the journey not the destination, which is why I'm out here in the first place. And surely I have found an abundance of soul food, and the community to go along with it.
As a segue to take us at least halfway back down to earth...
I was trying to look up the peak for the Eta Aquarids meteor shower, but am having some troubles. It could be peaking tonight, or tomorrow, or the next day. But, considering the upcoming weather reports, all we'll be seeing is the inside of more rain clouds. (Wohh wohhhhh). Luckily, the Perseids shower is even better and that's not until August. By August we'll be probably in New Hampshire, where the sky, completely devoid of light pollution, should have me looking up so much I'll be sleeping off the neck cramps. I look forward to it.
And bringing it back to the ground...

Things are turning green...it's so exciting. We had an overlook yesterday called Angel's Rest outside of Pearisburg, and, for the first time, the hills looked full of life. It's encouraging. I took a picture of a White Trillium in bloom yesterday. Yay.
I think I won't have a chance at a computer for a while, so stay well until I can check mail and things again, lovies.
Thank you's to Chelle for all my post cards, and Mary for the card, and Mom for all the love that I know has been going into those cookies.
Really. You all just drop these things in the mail, but it really makes my day.
Peace, much love, and happy trails.
<3>

No comments:
Post a Comment